Sunday, January 20, 2008


We're back. The trip back turned into quite an ordeal. We initially made it to the airport with plenty of time, but the first plane ride was horrible. We were on some sort of discount European airline, and I think that it was the oldest airplane I've ever been on. Everything about it screamed delapidated. Peeling paint, creaking parts, worn upholstery. And, worst for me, a horrible smell permeated the entire cabin. The crew was terrible, too, and twice just skipped our row entirely when bringing around drinks, so I couldn't even get water or ginger ale to try to settle my increasingly roiling stomach.

We landed in Madrid with barely enough time to make our connecting flight, especially since we had to go through passport control and re-check in. We made it okay, but one of our bags didn't, though we didn't find that out until our next layover.

Our flight from Madrid to Atlanta was long but unremarkable, except for how sick I felt the entire way. Happily, I managed to sleep more than I did on the way out, but all of the food on the plane disgusted me, so S. ate both our meals, and I limited myself to ginger ale, a dinner roll, and saltine crumbs over the course of the 9+ hour flight.

We had a planned 3.5 hour layover in Atlanta, so we sat down in a restaurant to get something to eat. I managed a little plain chicken before needing to flee the restaurant for the bathroom because of the nausea. By the time we boarded the plane, it was snowing (yes, snowing in Atlanta), and since it only snows there 1-2 times per year, they're not exactly set up to handle de-icing of all the planes. We ended up sitting on the plane for more than 4 hours before finally getting de-iced and being allowed to take off.

So, we finally got home at almost 2am. We dropped the bags and immediately fell into bed, though being horizontal set off another bout of nausea for me. I finally fell asleep at 3, then woke up every hour to pee, and was up for good when the phone rang at 8am (they found our bag, which is great news, but it couldn't wait a few hours?).

So, I'm munching on saltines and trying to stay awake for the day, in an attempt to nip the jet lag in the bud and be back on track by tomorrow. Meanwhile, S. is stunningly bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and is taking on all of the unpacking and laundry duties. Before we left, I was barely feeling the effects of the pregnancy. Now, less than 2 weeks later, I am fully aware of my first trimester status. I'm hoping it eases up a little once I am better rested, but for now, I'm just looking ahead to the 7 week appointment on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk To Me!